Our Home Town
History of Barrington Band: 1912-1952
| 1952-1980 | 1980-Present
This portion of the history extracted from the Barrington
Historical Society Publication No. 1, written in 1967 by C. Harold
Houck and Thomas C. McParlen.
|On New Year's Eve, January 1, 1912, a group of
townspeople, including Daniel Buckley, John J. Franke, Sr., Robert
Taylor and Edward Shetsline, Sr., were "seeing the New Year in" with a
party and, as the whistles blew and the cow-bells clanged, they decided
to parade through the town, making some noise. Shetsline had a drum and
Buckley a clarinet. They had so much fun that they decided, then and
there, that Barrington should have a band.
The Barrington Band in 1918 pauses from playing at the dedication of
the Culberson school. (Click to enlarge.)
The original four lost no time in recruiting candidates, mostly from
the Barrington Improvement Association, which had been formed the
previous year. The first drive for members netted twenty-one eager
fellows, none of whom could play an instrument and few who could read
|These included Joseph Rodgers, James Hearne, Jr., Harry
Brenner, George Culbertson, Jr., Paul Hearne, Walter Manlove, Robert
Hudson, John Gilfillan, Jr., Frank Brenner, Howard Redmond, George D.
C. Gesnaker, Charles Eltz, Edward M. Oliver, John S. Roberts, Howard
Fox, Charles Gaskill, Joseph W. Fletcher, James Hearne, Sr. and Edward
The Original Barrington Band in 1913 poses on the porch of the
Barrington mayor's home. (Click
Other Barrington residents to join later were: William Elliott, Ralph
Culbertson, Harold Houck, Jacob W. Houck, Harry Madison, Henry
Youngblood, James Doherty, Albert Glenum, Frank Levis, Frederick
Foerster, Earl Erwin, Louis Line, Ernest, Eugene and Herman Hehl,
Robert Crooks, Arthur Glenum, Arthur Appenzeller and Leslie Githens.
Many out-of-towners also signed up.
At the first meeting, dues were fixed at the rate of ten cents per week
per person. The next order of business was "who would play what?" When
that was finally decided, they noted that they were in a position to
buy enough instruments to get started for $250.00. Six property owners
of the group signed a note in that amount at the Haddon Heights Bank,
and things were "looking up".
After perusing many catalogs, it was decided to order the instruments
from Lyon and Healy Company of Chicago. The big day of the arrival of
the instruments was a Saturday, and most of the men were on hand at the
Barrington station to unload the freight car. Each man claimed his
instrument and they all paraded out Clements Bridge Road, tooting,
blowing, drumming and banging. It must have been Bedlam! But it was the
first parade of a long and illustrious history for the Barrington Band.
Remember, they still had to learn to play and this little matter was
attended to at once. A bandsman from the famous West Jersey Band of
Camden was a resident of Barrington, so they called on Jacob W. Houck,
who agreed to teach the brass section for $3.50 per week. George Abel
of Haddon Heights became teacher of the clarinet section at $2.00 per
week. George Taylor, who played the piccolo, had to have a special
teacher for another $2.00 per week. They rented the fire-house for
rehearsals and were on their way.
The first rehearsal for the entire band was held on April 24, 1912 and
on July fourth, 1912, they played at the flag-raising for the
Barrington Fire Company. A Ladies Auxiliary was formed to help raise
money by holding lawn parties, suppers and minstrel shows.
All that summer (this was long before air conditioning) shortly after
dinner, strange noises could be heard coming through open windows of
the homes of the bandsmen. They could hardly wait to get home to
rehearse! If you listened intently you could detect the strains of "I
Want A Girl", "Moonlight Bay", "Welcome Little Bear", "Ole Black Joe",
and "Midnight Choo-Choo".
The record books of the band show an outlay on December 6, 1912 of one
dollar for `burnt cork" for minstrel shows. On March 26, 1913 another
dollar was spent for "coal oil and carfare". On April 16, 1913 it was
agreed to purchase uniforms from Wanamaker and Brown in Philadelphia.
The price was $12.00 per suit. There is no record of the number of
uniforms purchased but terms for the lot were $50.00 down and $50.00
Later, in 1913, the band started annual excursions down the Delaware to
Augustine Beach on the S.S. Clyde. They played all the way down and
most of Barrington went along with them.
On September 25, 1913 dues were increased to twenty-five cents per
For practice in marching, the band often paraded out Clements Bridge
Road to Gloucester Pike and over to Bellmawr. There was a tavern there,
where they would "rest" and then parade back home. At about that time,
the band staged an entertainment to raise money and the proceeds
amounted to $29.70.
There was a business meeting held regularly, once a month, and
rehearsals once a week in the Fire Hall (where the ambulance equipment
is housed now) at Second and Haines Avenues.
On the night of December 31, 1914, just two years after the inception
of the idea of forming the band, they held a sauerkraut supper and New
Year's Eve Dance. The admission charge was twenty-five cents for adults
and fifteen cents for children.
Early in 1915, a glockenspiel was added and Louis Lina was recruited to
play it. Jacob Houck ceased charging for teaching and became Band
Director, and John J. Franke was elected Business Manager.
On Sunday, June 13th, the band marched and played in the Children's Day
Parade for the Barrington Presbyterian Church.
By this time, word was getting around that the Barrington Band was
On January 25, 1915, they led a demonstration parade from Barrington to
Mount Ephraim, where the governing body of Centre Township was meeting,
to demand that Barrington be supplied with running water. This parade
was organized by Arthur Hawes. In that same year, the name was changed
to "The South Jersey Band from Barrington, N. J.".
Things were "looking up" and dues were reduced to ten cents.
On August 2, 1915, the Band graduated to gasoline torches for their
nighttime parades. Two were purchased for $1.50.
In 1916 the band was awarded a loving-cup as the best-appearing band in
the Firemen's Parade at Collingswood. Also, in that same year, the band
sponsored a popularity contest and the "most popular girl in town"
received a diamond ring and the runner-up a wrist-watch. This affair
was held in Heakes Hall, (Barrington Avenue, between Kingston and
In 1917, the band played in the Philadelphia Mummers Parade for the
first time, and continued doing so for the next seventeen years. Later
in 1917, they played a concert over radio station WIP, in Philadelphia,
and continued to play at Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Labor Day
exercises in Barrington, Haddon Heights and Haddonfield.
During World War I, in 1918, three members of the band were hired to
ride around Philadelphia, in an open truck with signs, to promote the
sale of Liberty Bonds. (Could this have been the original sound truck?)
Barrington Band in 1922 is strutting down the Wildwood boardwalk.
(Click to enlarge.)
| In 1921, the band joined with the Barrington
Athletic Association and held a street carnival to celebrate the
opening of the new, concrete Clements Bridge Road. The following year,
1922, they accompanied the MacAndrews and Forbes Company's Annual
excursion to Wildwood, by train, and continued this jaunt annually, for
the next twenty-two years. Several hundred residents of the town
usually went along.
Minutes of the business meeting of August 5, 1922, records the adoption
of the following motion: "Any member of this band becoming intoxicated
will automatically suspend himself".
In June, 1924, they played at the Barrington School Commencement
1926 saw them emerge resplendent in new modern uniforms consisting of
maroon capes, leather puttees, plumed hats and leather pouches for
carrying the music.
They continued until May 9, 1952, when the group disbanded. In the more
than forty years of its existence, there were only four presidents:
Daniel Buckley, Robert Hudson, Louis Lina and Alex Homer; one Band
Director: Jacob W. Houck, and one business manager: John J. Franke.
Many of the members have passed on but pleasant memories linger and the
"Barrington Band" has a special spot in the hearts of the senior
citizens of Barrington.
Back to the top
The Band became inactive from 1952 until 1970 but, still met once each
year at the home of Harold Houck. In 1970, Earle Felten, William
Townsend, and Harold Houck decided to reactivate the band. They
recruited musicians, young and old, and with the help of Peter Strang,
Superintendent of Schools, practiced in the Woodland School with the
school band. Earle Felten became the second conductor of the band.
Interest grew, and the band moved to the Fire Hall where it practiced
until 1989. That year saw a return to the Woodland School for a year
until the group moved to its present quarters at the Senior Citizen's
Recreation Center adjacent to the Barrington Borough Hall.
In 1970 Earle Felten and Harold Houck visited Jack Kerns Superintendent
of Camden County Parks, suggesting free band concerts during the summer
in the County Parks. In 1972, the Barrington Band was the first to
provide free concerts in the parks. The current concert series is very
popular with some big bands such as Tommy Dorsey, the Haddonfield
Symphony, string bands, and many others, entertaining each
Walter Prichard with his
baton. (Click to enlarge.)
|The band was again inactive for a few months
in 1978. Norman Matchett and Walter Prichard revived the group and
again began rehearsals at the Fire House. Walter Prichard conducted the
band from 1978 until 1988 when he became conductor emeritus.
Back to the top
|In 1980 the band had about 20 "friends who
played music," as stated by Kathy Ball, a past band president. The band
played from Rubank Ensemble books and older arrangements of sheet
music. At this time, Harold Houck, son of the original band
director Jacob Houck, was still playing with the Band. He joined
at age 14, retiring at age 89 due to ill health. Harold started a
tradition of lifelong participation that continues to this day.
Clarinet section during a
concert. Circa 1980. (Click to enlarge.)
Penny Teter became Assistant Conductor in 1987 and the Principal
Conductor in 1988, conducting the concert in Cape May, New
Jersey. She used the band as a part of her Master of Arts in
Conducting Thesis in May 1991 from Trenton State College (now the
College of New Jersey). Since then, the band has grown in
sophistication and size. The repertoire of the band has grown
tremendously to include favorite marches, show tunes from Broadway
musicals, as well as a wide variety of contemporary symphonic
literature. Additional Assistant Conductors since that time have
included George Hankins and Beth Griffith.
In 1989 the band established an annual award, in memory of Harold
Houck, for musicianship and academic achievement, to be given to a
member of the Woodland School eighth grade graduating class.
The Band has continually played for Barrington civic events and local
nursing homes since its inception. Highlight performances
included a participation in a re-creation of a historic cattle drive
that had passed through Barrington; the Miss Barrington contests, the
dedication of the Deptford (NJ) Water Tower, and the Barrington/Haddon
Heights patriotic service in the Haddon Heights Dell. The band
has also participated in the City of Cape May (NJ) Summer Gazebo
Concert series since the series began.
| Currently, players range in age from 11 to
80+. Several families have been band members for multiple
generations. Attendance has increased to approximately 35 to 40
players. For a description of the current band, read the About Us page.
This photo is during a
rehearsal during the Christmas season of 2002. (Click
Back to the top
updated August 4, 2012